Just imagine, it’s 8:23am and you are already late for the first bell. Your daughter wants to wear a sparkly dress, neon hair ribbon, and polka dot socks. Not quite the “look” you were going for on Picture Day. With a bit of planning, you can ensure that the morning of Picture Day is smooth.
We recommend talking with your child about both what to expect and what to wear on Picture Day. It’s important that you choose something both you and your child love. The best photos are the ones when children are happy, relaxed, and comfortable, so it’s important that they love the outfit as much as you.
At Simply School Photos, we know each child is unique, and we want to see their personality come through in what they wear. It doesn’t have to be perfect! Honestly, you’ll probably look back and laugh about any fashion choices in the years to come.
Other things to keep in mind when choosing an outfit have to do with what makes a great picture. We want your child’s smile to be the focus of the photo, so keep in mind the following pointers:
- Neutral colours are best. More muted tones will bring out your child’s hair and eye colour along with their smile and facial expressions
- If you do choose a pattern, think simple. Overly complex patterns will also detract from their smile.
- Shiny, sparkly, or textured materials – all good things on a normal day, but best to be avoided on Picture Day. This goes for big logos or pictures on shirts, too. These all just make a photo too busy and can be distracting.
- Choose something clean and simple – a collared shirt, a blouse, or t-shirt can all be perfect choices.
- Throw a back-up shirt into your child’s back-pack in the event of any lunch mishaps earlier in the day (blueberry stains do not make for the best pictures).
- This isn’t strictly about clothes, but make sure any new haircut is at least a week or so old. The last thing you want is a hair faux-pas to ruin a picture day photo. Give a new haircut time to settle in so you can work some magic with barrettes or hair gel if needed.
Picture Day doesn’t have to be stressful and it doesn’t have to be perfect. We love to see children express themselves with their wardrobe. Years later, you can always look back and laugh – these memories will last a lifetime!