Some kids love the camera. Others will try to hide behind their teacher all day. This comes with the territory as a photographer, and we at Simply School Photos are ready to work with each child on how to get the best picture possible. Once outfits are picked out and hair is in place, taking the actual photo is the only thing left to do!
We’ve talked about it before, but the best photos really are the ones where the child is having fun and is relaxed. For that reason, we won’t be putting them into any stiff, formal poses. We will keep it light and age-appropriate, all about laughter and giggles. At Simply School Photos, we don’t think of it as posing, but instead we want to give directions to help get a great shot. We know that every child is different, so trying to get the same “pose” for everyone just doesn’t work! Children are unique, and so are their photos.
A few ways you can help your child get ready:
- If there are any nerves, practice at home! Make it fun with them. Stand side by side in the mirror and give off your biggest, cheesiest grins.
- Take a look through some old school photos of yourself, or general family photos. You can point out a few awesome photos and talk about why you love them.
How we will direct and guide your child during the session:
- Clearly direct them about what they should do. We will give simple, clear directions such as “put your hands in your pockets” so they know what to do.
- Speak their language – we know that kids want to jump like a kangaroo or roar like a lion, so we’ll use that language to help bring out the best picture.
- Ask teachers and school staff to help out as needed, specifically in talking with the children who are waiting to keep them comfortable and engaged.
- Use props or toys if they need something to hold on to and focus attention towards.
- Snap pictures the entire time between all the official stuff, because sometimes it is the candid ones that turn out best.
Most of us are not used to having our photo taken by a professional, and neither are our children. For that reason, we keep it simple and fun, so they can relax and smile throughout the process. As always, it’s not about getting the perfect photo, but rather getting a perfect memory to carry with you as they grow up.